Saturday, February 25, 2012

Up river without a paddle

"Don't refuse to go on an occasional wild goose chase

- that's what wild geese are for."

Author Unknown


I have to admit to being a little skeptical of taking a tour upriver to see animals and birds. It wasn't that I didn't think we would see any, quite the contrary I was certain we would see lots. It was just that we had seen so many animals just wandering around in our neighborhood I wasn't sure that we would see anything much different. However, early one morning the kids and I left Chris and Greg to their surfing delight and headed over to Palo Verde boat tours. I countered that even if we saw minimal fauna, the flora would be worth it and I would spend enjoyable time with Doug and his wife Sheri. Furthermore the kids were all for it as it gave them a legitimate non school day.

"I do not know much about gods; but I think that the river

Is a strong brown god—sullen, untamed and intractable."

T.S. Eliot


With another o'dark thirty start we were headed up river on the 8am boat. A good choice as the animal activity was at its busiest and the human activity at its quietest. I really didn't expect to see crocodiles quite that size or quite that close.

“If you're going to live by the river,

make friends with the crocodile”

Indian Proverb


Oh pick me pick me..not. Remember I lived in Africa, I know all too well about monkeys or more specifically what monkeys often do on humans. Yet it would seem that these Costa Rican white faced monkeys were somewhat house trained.


After walking all over us I had to agree they were gentle with the softest hands and feet. Even if a couple of the did get into it over the last banana. Lunch back at the restaurant was a traditional Costa Rican fare and delicious too.


“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”
Luciano Pavarotti



After lunch we headed over to Guaitil, the village famous for pottery. The biggest smiles of the day of course had nothing to do with indigenous wildlife or historical pottery techniques but a cute little puppy.

"Never work with children or animals" W.C.Fields



The kids managed to pound a little of the rock that is used for the clay and they even helped etch out some of the patterns.



Compared to the high octane of our last adventure, this field trip was definitely at a more sedate level. Yet I think the experience of learning about the animals and the local Tican traditions gave us all much more to think about. There is so much to see on this planet, don't you wish sometimes you could just keep going and traveling, seeing and experiencing?Just have the world swallow you up. This trip has had its difficult parts: the bumpy dirt roads, the hot uncomfortable journeys, the dragging heavy luggage and boring delays. I only hope these adversities are compensated for by the moments of discovery, the awakening of the senses and the making of some awesome childhood memories.


“Growing up happens in a heartbeat.

One day you're in diapers; the next day you're gone.

But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul.”

Wonder Years




No comments:

Post a Comment