Saturday, January 18, 2020

Home Again Home Again Jiggety Jig

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, 
but I think I have ended up where I intended to be." 

Douglas Adams

The Dominican Republic really was the perfect location to finish off our trip.  The ultimate destination to suspend our family between the end of the journey and the beginning of our entry back into reality.  

I didn't want the trip to end yet I wanted to go back, perhaps that is Nirvana?  The place where looking back brings sweet tears of loss for the good times spent, the present frames a contented sensation and the future is filled with gleeful anticipation.   

Lounging in the apartment each day I could never quite bring myself to post the blog, somehow by suspending the moments in cyberspace would mean that I would never have to leave or write about a return.  I would just stay there in my Nirvana existence.  

We had achieved such great distances in the last year and triumphed many obstacles.  Sure we had our share of full of unfulfilled dreams and thwarted travel plans, maybe the home school had been too massive an undertaking, perhaps we had paused our live aboard boat plans.  However, one thing was absolutely sure, our bond of family had grown as close as the minute living spaces we often found ourselves existing in.

Everywhere is nowhere. When a person spends all his time in foreign travel
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I'm sure I'll soon be back to planning secret travel itineraries, there is talk of Australia next year.  I have that guilty secret of my trans Siberian train trip lurking around in my mind and a side trip to Croatia if I visit the Uk again this summer. 

“The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together.”  Erma Bombeck

Returning has been a confusing climactic anticlimax of emotions and I am mindful not to bore people with story after story of the adventures.  Instead I am retreating back into my historical journey, by blogging it means I get to go back to where ever it was and rediscover a depth of details through post trip research.  And my ground breaking last thoughts?  Less is more, and if you hold onto plans, people, possessions, the past too tightly they trickle from your grip like sand.  Finally make every breath count, especially at altitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment